Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Monday, August 30, 2010

Boot Commission ~ Canvas by Canvas ~ The Upstairs Gallery by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee


Texas Boots
Acrylic 10" square CBC Commission

This is my square for a Canvas by Canvas commission for a California client in the style of our painting, "Boot Scootin". We had so much fun doing the set up photography for this series of paintings. A friend has an extensive boot collection and we spent the evening arranging and photographing boots in all colors and styles. The section of the square that is green, top right is awaiting our "rose painter" to make her magic with a yellow rose of Texas.


I could not resist taking a photograph of my new acrylic paint palette and I don't know if it will work but time will tell. I found this "No Spill Organizer" Jewelry Designer, with grooves in lid to keep compartments from spilling, 13.7 x 8.6 in with 32 compartments at Michaels. I felt like the grooves in the lid would help keep the acrylics from drying out. I used a white sticky felt to paste inside the top and moisten with water. I placed all in a Hefty Jumbo zip lock bag with a wet sponge. Maybe I won't bring my whole studio to painting days and weekends when we get together to paint on our CBC projects. I bring a jar of white and black gesso for those separate colors. This is an adaptation of one of Elin Pendleton ideas using pill containers. It would be best to store in the refrigerator but since I've just made a Sam's visit that idea will have to wait. I did use the pill containers like Elin at one time but didn't give them the proper care and they dried out, some grew mold, some got too contaminated.


If you forget to gesso your panel before painting time, you can always find a nearby truck out in the sun to quickly dry your square. The Upstairs Gallery is in the background.

The Upstairs Gallery Studio where we meet, greet and paint. This is where my "Love Your Life" art journaling workshop will be held in November. When I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond shopping for more organizers I found some small little journals that said "Love your Life" on them, hmmm.

Please visit my web site and comment on my blog:

BLOG.............Nancy Standlee Art Blog

WEB SITE ........Nancy Standlee

WEB SITE ........Canvas By Canvas


ARLINGTON TEXAS ~ ARTIST NANCY STANDLEE ~ DAILY PAINTER ~ TORN PAPER PAINTINGS ~
CONTEMPORARY ~ WATERCOLOR ~ ACRYLIC ~ COLLAGE ~ PAINTED PAPERS ~ PAPER PAINTINGS ~ GOUACHE
ABSTRACT ~ EXPRESSIONIST ~ ART FOR SALE ~ FIGURATIVE ~ MIXED MEDIA ~ ALTERED BOOKS

Contact NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Art Journaling Workshop “Love Your Life” with Nancy Standlee

Three Day November 6-8, 2010 Saturday, Sunday, Monday 9:30 – 4:30

The Upstairs Gallery

1038 W. Abram

Arlington, TX 76013

Contact: J. T. Martin 817 277-6961 to register or

info@upstairsartgallery.com

2 comments:

devotedmomof7 said...

That's fantastic, Nancy. I love your group's style and your contribution is awesome! If you take a workshop in California, please drop me a line so we can buy you dinner!

Nancy Standlee said...

Cheryl, thanks and I might make it to CA. Do you think you'll ever make it back to TX?