Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"Jessie" ~ watercolor figure by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee


"Jessie"
15" x 22" Watercolor, acrylic, charcoal on paper

In October I took a 3 day figure workshop with Daily Painter, Liz Hill, in Houston. Each morning we had a different model to draw and then we'd paint in the afternoon after the model went home. The models allowed photos to be taken. I've had three more workshops since then and haven't been able to paint and use anything I learned at the figure workshop. So Saturday and Sunday right before the Western Federation November 15 deadline, I finally had an opportunity to paint "Jessie" from one of my photographs. Liz draws from live models about three times a week but at this stage in my figure painting I need a photograph. I really enjoy mixing up the media and combining it with the charcoal. I want to pursue this way of working and schedule another Houston trip for the next Liz Hill workshop. Western Fed is a juried art show and allows 3 entries per person and artists will be notified if they got in after the first of the year.

I'm in the throes of studio cleaning and organization and aren't we always? In the Lana Grow workshop she had 2 of these buckets filled will art supplies and don't we always want what we see another artist use? I know I do so I placed a Cheap Joe's order for the Neatnix Stuff Bucket and it was so much fun to fill. Now to carve out some time to use it after the turkey carving. A Happy Thanksgiving to all of the readers of this blog and carve out some painting time during this holiday season.

Contact NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Nancy Standlee Art Blog

12 comments:

Pcasso said...

Jessie may just be my favorite of all your paintings. She's wonderful!

Cathy Hegman said...

Hey Nancy! I love the figure work you are doing! I think it is stunning. Happy Thanksgiving!

Nancy Standlee said...

Hello, Pat and Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for your opinion. Several others have made the same comment so guess which direction I may be headed.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks, Cathy. It's all because of the Liz Hill workshop in Houston.

NORA KASTEN said...

Nancy - I want to tell you how happy I am to find your website and blog. Your work is a great inspiration to me during this big change in my life. I look forward to seeing your new works. . . . . Nora

Nancy Standlee said...

Nora, thanks for the visit and the comments. I've enjoyed your textured florals also.

devotedmomof7 said...

Nancy - Add me to the list of those who feel this is your best work to date! It's super!! I'm enjoying your blog!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Cheryl and I look at this and I'm wondering will I be able to paint another one. I started one yesterday and will post later in the week. Thanks you so much for the support.

lkpainter said...

Nancy...I envy your many workshops and how well you use the information in your paintings. I think you have really improved in the time I have been following your blog. You've become so inventive and your work has definitely become more interesting. I especially like your recent posts.

Have a good holiday and continue the super work.

Nancy Standlee said...

Linda, I like it very much that you think I've improved and have added some interest.. I appreciate your comments very much.

Nick said...

that's a smoker too, your figure pieces are cookin'!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks, Nick. I sent this one to Western Fed but it didn't get in but will try another show locally. I'm glad you like it. I like the combination of collage, acrylic and watercolor - a little in your face.