Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Friday, August 10, 2012

California Roses Mixed Media Abstract Florals by Contemporary Texas Artist Nancy Standlee


California Roses #3, 12106 10"x10" on gallery wrapped canvas, acrylic abstract mixed media floral
Heavily Textured 

See at my online gallery at Daily Paintworks

There is a nice perk now at Daily Paintworks. If you purchase a painting you have 4 chances in 30 days to win a featured artists painting. Check out the Artist Spotlight and Giveaway icon.


 There are six paintings in this series and you see see the edges here where the flowers are carried over onto the edge. I was in a mentoring workshop with Robert Burridge and took flat canvases, textured and ready to paint. See blog post HERE.http://nancystandlee.blogspot.com/2012/07/painting-in-bobland-and-california.html
This was all experimental as I did not know how the canvases would travel before or after texturing/painting but I made 4 mil plastic sandwich sheets between and rolled them up for suitcase travel. When I returned home to Texas, I was shocked I couldn't find 10" stretcher bars in 1 1/2" depth so after an internet search I found this site, Breathing Color, and placed an order for 50 lbs of stretcher bars. Next on the list was tracking down my canvas pliers for stretching and my staple gun. After finishing/stretching 6 and I'd advise - don't try this. It is so hard. Wait until the canvas is stretched before painting and texturing if you can but I got them stretched - oh, just so-so. Now to begin on some 14x11 figures but fortunately they are not heavily textured but I did go to Ace Hardware to buy an ELECTRIC staple gun. I haven't tried it yet and will let you know how that works out. I read a lot of reviews and they can be very problematic. But this method worked for me on this particular trip because I didn't want to go to the expense of shipping stretched canvases and now I have extra canvases and stretcher bars for other projects.

The California Six series

Top row, the first one in this row has been sold and is heading back to California soon.
 
Here is a comment from my online gallery about one in the series "
"So joyful I laughed out loud when I zoomed in -- love it!" 

and I just have to think about the Andy Warhol quote 

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”

I sold one of my favorites today.. a mixed media figurative abstract with the acrylic painted fairly transparent and using telephone pages for texture and collage. "That's What I Like About You" 12x12

And when we get so distracted with stretcher strips and what we should, shouldn't be eating, and the weather, and what shows to enter, I just had to share this little joke that so speaks to me that was posted on FB.

CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT ACRYLIC PAINTING, PAINTINGS FOR SALE, DAILY PAINTWORKS, FIGURATIVE PAINTING. MIXED MEDIA FIGURATIVE ABSTRACT, TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, ACRYLIC MIXED MEDIA TEXTURED ABSTRACT PAINTING, ARTISTS OF TEXAS, CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS INTERNATIONAL, NANCY STANDLEE ART, DAILY PAINTERS ABSTRACT GALLERY, PINTEREST, MIXED MEDIA TEXTURED FLORAL ABSTRACT

BLOG                  Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE            Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE            Canvas by Canvas
Contact:             NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Purchase paintings through my Gallery at Daily Paintworks.
Follow me on Pinterest

 

No comments: