Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Red Rock Abstract ~ Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee



"Red Rock Abstract"
6" x 6" squares

Abstracts:
I have a page on my web site filled with small abstracts with a little texture, http://nancystandlee.com/small_original_paintings.html. I really like their simplicity and the fact they are small but can make a statement. This week I saw one of Carol Nelson's abstracts, Shining Through, talk about texture, oh, wow. I've been emailing her and she was kind enough to share some of her "texture ways" and besides I've read or skimmed her blog posts about the geologic paintings. She works large and is having a workshop in October in Colorado but I can't make it so I tried using some modeling paste on these minis. Carol likes liquid acrylics and I have some and tried them but I don't have the handle on them yet so I went back to my tube acrylics. These started out with a figure but the subject changed several times and there are numerous layers and some metallic and pearlized paint somewhere in the layers.
These may be going to the Dutch Art Gallery for the Daily Painters of Texas show and since it will be nearing Christmas I decided these gallery wrapped edges needed to be red.
Thanks, Carol, for your time and emails. I will get to one of your workshops yet.

Please visit my website and comment on my blog.
Find me on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

BLOG.............Nancy Standlee Art Blog

WEB SITE ........Nancy Standlee

WEB SITE ........Canvas By Canvas


Other blogs where I post:

Daily Painters of Texas

Daily Abstract Painters Gallery

Daily Painters Marketplace



TEXAS CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT EXPRESSIONIST FINE ART DAILY PAINTER
NANCY STANDLEE ARLINGTON, TEXAS ART FOR SALE

Contact: NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

10 comments:

Carol Nelson said...

I can see every one of these done in a large format when you're ready. Starting small is a great way to experiment, however.
Great job.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Carol. I may try it and thanks again for all your support.

Ginny Stiles said...

I attended a Golden Acrylic demo last spring in Fl and I got a sample of the modeling paste that I haven't used yet. I am totally inspired. I like the idea of thinking of "holiday" colors too. Funny, I think people seem more interested in owning "holiday" themed art then they do in "autumn" art which I would think would be popular in the Midwest...but not necessarily so. I did sell one of my fall paintings this year...but it's unusual. I wonder did you use a palette knife for most of this?

Nancy Standlee said...

Hello Ginny.. yes I applied the modeling paste with a palette knife but after it dried I used tube colors to paint and dry brush. I stamped and imprinted in some places with things within reach!! I was having more fun and the hardest part is waiting for it to dry to start painting.

Myrna Wacknov said...

I love these little jewels. Great to put them together in one frame.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Myrna. Glad you like them. I've enjoyed working with many different shades of red so the sides had to be red also.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy, These are stunning! The texture is wonderful.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Peggy.. friend me on Facebook. I couldn't find you.

Liquid &Tunsie said...

Wow!! this is gud stuff!!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thank you for the visit and comments, Mystery Artist. Good luck on your journey.