Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Naked Juice" ~ Acrylic Contemporary Fauve Painting ~ by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee

"Naked Juice - Mighty Mango"
14 x 11 in. Acrylic on canvas, no frame
Contemporary Fauve Art

This was painted yesterday but has been in the planning stages since returning from the Kathleen Elsey workshop in Santa Barbara. It is painted on a red acrylic ground that covered over a tired pale painting that was no fun to look at but now I let those vivid colors run wild. It is not framed and it is on a stapled sided canvas so it would need to be framed. My studio was and still is very disorganized from workshop travel so I set up shop on the kitchen table and ate take out until this one was finished.
Coming back from Santa Barbara there was engine trouble in LAX and several delays and a need for food. I found this refreshing "Naked Juice" and it tasted great and I loved the color. It was so good I had the desire but not the energy about 2 AM to find a supply in Arlington. My neighborhood Kroger carries it!! Click on the link above to see if you can find your favorite flavor in your neighborhood market.
This handy bottle will be so convenient for lunches in workshops when the truly addictive ones won't take the time for a "proper" noisy lunch but would rather stay, paint and visit.

Two books to recommend if you want to read more about the Fauves:

"The Fauve Landscape" by Judi Freeman
"Fauvism: Origins and Development" by Marcel Giry

(both are pretty hefty in size and price but some careful shopping will find a used copy and these have beautiful illustrations)

Now for an editorial:
A comment was made about my confusion with taking so many workshops but if I had quit and given up after my first one, I wouldn't be painting today. The workshop instructor painted detailed florals and used a magnifying glass to study her photograph. I knew that wasn't me and in my eyes, the workshop was a total loss. I didn't know what "me" was and where I fit in but I didn't quit. (I'm still on the search) but in looking back I see it was a valuable lesson. I don't have a college art background. Mine was in tailoring - making a perfectly tailored wool suit and setting the perfect table for guests (called Home Economics back in the 50's), and later certifications in special ed and library science. Now it's fun to attend art workshops with no graduation day in sight and yes, now I would fail in my personal life with my sewing and food preparation skills.
I have a good art support system through my
Canvas by Canvas girl friends, internet friends through Facebook and my blog. Life is uncertain and art is uncertain but it's the best thing around so take a workshop this summer and leave your fears at home. Take two, even. I am. Read some art books. I am. Paint some bad paintings. I am. Maybe even a good one covering over a bad one.

BLOG................http://NancyStandlee.blogspot.com

WEBSITE..........http://NancyStandlee.com

WEBSITE..........http://CanvasbyCanvas.com

PAINTED PAPER COLLAGE PAINTINGS ~ TORN PAPER PAINTINGS ~ WATERMEDIA ~
COLLAGE ART ~ MIXED MEDIA TEXTURED ABSTRACT PAINTING ~ TORN PAPER COLLAGE
~ TEXAS DAILY PAINTER
~ NANCY STANDLEE CONTEMPORARY ART ~ ACRYLIC STILL LIFE ~ CONTEMPORARY FAUVE PAINTING ~ FAUVE STILL LIFE


Contact NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

6 comments:

Cindy Yandell Parker said...

Great advice Nanc, keep those workshops comming!!
BGH

Cindy Yandell Parker said...

Great advice Nanc, keep those workshops comming!
bgh

Cindy Yandell Parker said...

Great advise Nanc, keep those workshops comming!
bg

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks to BGH and all the support team. I couldn't nor would I want to do it without you ladies.

Kathleen Barnes said...

Hi Nancy..I loved your editorial. I teach painting workshops...but I also attend them and your blog posts have helped me to decide which ones to aim for. I do have a college art education, but workshops provide a hands on down to earth creative experience that you cannot get in college. Bravo for your editorial!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thank you Paintdiva.. I've taken a lot of Robert Burridge workshops and he always tells the class..now you know more than 4 years of art school!! If you haven't taken one of his, do.