Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Monday, November 12, 2012

Larisa Aukon Workshop, Sedona Art Center, Day 2, Jerome, AZ Plein Air by Nancy Standlee Texas Artist


 "Casa Latina" Jerome AZ 12139
9x12 Oil on canvas
 Painted Plein Air in Jerome, AZ, (interesting reading of Jerome's history on the link) October 30, 2012 during the Larisa Aukon architectural plein air workshop from the Sedona Arts Center.

We made the 30 mile trip from Sedona early in the morning loaded with our plein air painting supplies. At about 5000 feet it's known as the mile high town and America's most vertical city. It's a community of about 450 with a lot of artists and a once thriving mining town. It's a 3 level town and we met at the bottom level and I soon learned how difficult it was going to be for me on cobblestones and the elevation, loaded with backpack, easel and the works. We located some shade on the 2nd level, a bathroom within walking distance and set up to watch Larisa give us a demo of the Connor Hotel below. I decided this looked good to me to try as I wasn't wanting to hike to another level before lunch. I finished this 6 x 8 study of a similar set up. This was the image at our vantage point.

 Connor Hotel, 12135
6x8 oil on canvas board
Later after hurried burgers at the Haunted Hamburger we watched Larisa's demo of a church and we found a spot where we'd like to paint. 


 Larisa Aukon church painting
Since the church was on a very steep incline I chose a flatter area and painted this gallery and gift shop. 


Maureen
I chose to paint "The Merchants Gathering" building, 300 Hull Ave, where Casa Latina is located filled with Latin American Arts and on the other side of the building, Cody DeLong's studio is located. At the end of the day, after many hours of staring at the front of the building I went inside to meet the owner, Maureen Anderson and she said the building had been home to the Studebaker building of carriages, cars and mining trucks. 

We packed up and drove back to Sedona and Nance took me to this fabulous Thai restaurant, Thai Spices. Oh, wow, did I ever enjoy that great fresh food. (Nance is my new Sedona friend. She found my blog previously and we'd corresponded and we met in Sedona and were in the same workshop.)

I've mailed 3 collage pieces for a 12x12 show in Houston at the Betz Gallery. They are having a grand opening on Saturday, November 17, 2012. This rooster painting has a map background and fortunately has Houston in the top right top. 


Next post will be about our painting at Talapaque in Sedona.


TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, OIL PAINTING, SMALL OIL LANDSCAPE, ARCHITECTURAL OILS,   ARTISTS OF TEXAS BLOG, NANCY STANDLEE , FINE ART,  DAILY PAINTWORKS, CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS INTERNATIONAL, PINTEREST, LARISA AUKON WORKSHOP, BETZ ART GALLERY, HOUSTON, TX, SEDONA ARTS SCHOOL

BLOG                  Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE            Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE            Canvas by Canvas
Contact:             NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Purchase paintings through my Gallery at Daily Paintworks.
Follow me on Pinterest

No comments: