Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Saturday, June 30, 2012

On the Rocks, 12090 torn paper mixed media collage abstract and High Heel Shoe Collage Workshop by Nancy Standlee, Texas Contemporary Artist

 
On the Rocks
24x12 torn paper collage abstract mixed media on canvas

I chose a vertical format for long thin strips of magazine papers and vintage stamps, covered with glazes of acrylic paint and highlighted with lines of acrylic paint. See the close up below:


The sides are painted a neutral gray with some of the paint hovering at the outside edge of the painting with more black marks. The painting is signed on the side so it could be hung horizontally or vertically. The title comes from early images I'd used from a Sedona tourist magazine and there are two large images that say "Sedona" in the early layers. (I've never been to Sedona but it's on my list to take a workshop there so I'd ordered information about the area and "On the Rocks" was some text that came from this information.)

The painting can be seen at my online art gallery at Daily Paintworks HERE.

WORKSHOP:
I've recently given a one day high heel collage workshop in Dallas (June 2 at the Dutch Art Gallery) now I'm heading west to give one at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center, July 21, 2012. For more information click HERE.
No stress. I'll furnish the image for the high heel and no prior art experience needed. Come expecting to have an enjoyable day and return home with a 12" high heel torn paper collage. You bring a limited supply list and expect to go home with new ideas and make some new friends. 
The supply list is available on the link or call Elaine Taylor 817.298.3021 or email gallerymanager@fwcac.org or Rachel Pope rachel@artscouncilfw.org to register. The one day class is $125.00. 
Below is a photo I took yesterday of the front of the FWCAC after I picked up my collage exhibit. (I had 16 pieces in the exhibit and sold 7 during the show). This will be a great place for a workshop with lots of room and there is a cafe in the building for a quick lunch at Z's Cafe. 
This high heel shoe sold during the exhibit.

FWCAC
HAND TRUCK:
I am always on the search for art supplies and then how to manage them. This hand truck was taken on it's maiden run yesterday and proved worthy with 9 paintings loaded and all in one trip to the car. Click HERE to see where I purchased it at Hand Trucks "R" Us. This particular model's handle doesn't telescope but they do have another model that does. I debated. Here it is loaded into a plastic tub with bungee cords. I put the collages, back to back,  into garbage bags for some protection. Note to self (when taking pictures of a white subject use a dark background)

I've also added it to my Art Supply board on Pinterest.
Here is a good article about Pinterest.

ART BOOKS
Leslie Saeta hosts Artists Helping Artists weekly radio program on blog talk radio the  program June 12, 2012 was devoted to expanding your art library with the "best" art books suggestions submitted by their listeners. I know I have over half of these and then went to Amazon and put the rest on my wish list. The website and blog has an Amazon widget you may or may not can see giving the books they talked about as it depends on which browser you are using. I use Firefox and could not see it but when I looked using IE there it was. I know strange.

TV:
Lonesome Dove was on again not too long ago and I saved it and recently I watched parts 1 and 2 and "fixin'" to go watch part 3.. I thought it was the best thing I've ever seen first time around and wasn't so sure I wanted to burst my bubble.. I'd forgotten just how mean Blue Duck was.. and later  I'll have to watch Gus die... that was the biggest blunder in all bookdom.. we could still be watching.. Gus in Montana, Gus goes to Wyoming.. Gus explores the northwest, Gus and Clara secret love child...Larry McMurtry.. you messed up!!

Facebook
I saw this funny saying on FB and I'll have to share as it really called my name. "Today's Housekeeping Tip"  Always keep several get well cards on the mantel. That way, if unexpected guests arrive, they'll think you've been sick and unable to clean". I had to add a comment "run hide the painting you've been working on all day and throw on your robe, hold a wash rag (wash rag, dates me doesn't it)


HEB. Granbury. Art in the Cart
I will be at the HEB grocery store in Granbury TX July 7 set up near the Coffee Grinder 12-4 with my collage. Stop by and see me glue!! with my new plastic tubs!!


PLASTIC TUBS AND EGGPLANTS:
I have been chasing plastic tubs at every variety of dollar store in the metroples, Garden Ridge, and the upscale Container Store, trying to find the "just right" tub to sort collage papers in as I've recently made some bad tub choices and I'm being overrun with tubs!! (with a lid, without, stacking, dishpans, litter pans, clear) I must try them all. Why do I do this? I do the same thing with eggplants. I've never seen an eggplant I didn't want to buy. I don't cook them. Just buy them. 


Cheap Joe's Summer Art Contest at Facebook..vote for me!!
I entered this with a collage of one of my sons along with about 727 others .. scroll down and you can jump to the page of choice.  If the pages don't change Stoney, Music and Motorcycles is on page 30 (it has ONE vote...mine) lol.. 2nd image top left. Click HERE.

See at my online gallery at Daily Paintworks

There is a nice perk now at Daily Paintworks. If you purchase a painting you have 4 chances in 30 days to win a featured artists painting. Check out the Artist Spotlight and Giveaway icon.


TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, TORN PAPER COLLAGE PAINTING, COLLAGE ART, PAINTED PAPER COLLAGE PAINTINGS, MIXED MEDIA PAINTING, ABSTRACT PAINTING, STAINED PAPER PAINTING, CONTEMPORARY FINE ART, ACRYLIC PAINTING. ARTISTS OF TEXAS BLOG, NANCY STANDLEE, CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT ACRYLIC PAINTING, FINE ART, DAILY PAINTWORKS, CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS INTERNATIONAL, PINTEREST, COLLAGE ARTIST, TORN PAPER ABSTRACT COLLAGE


BLOG                  Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE            Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE            Canvas by Canvas
Contact:             NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Purchase paintings through my Gallery at Daily Paintworks.
Follow me on Pinterest

6 comments:

Connie Michael said...

Nancy, this is so cool. I've just spent some time catching up on your blog posts and as always, I was thoroughly entertained. You are so inspiring. Looking at your paintings has made me want to do a collage. Yes ... you read that right. lol!

Egretta Wells blog said...

Love your torn paper collage.

Nancy Standlee said...

Connie ..yes I'm in total shock.. come to the high heel shoe collage workshop we're working larger than a little journal page.. I think that's what turned you off..

Nancy Standlee said...

Egretta thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

Liana Yarckin said...

nancy, i have always loved your art, but, on the rocks is outstanding!!!!!! i can look at it forever. it is just fabulous stimulation for my eye and mind.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thank you so much Liana for the support. I appreciate you taking the time to visit and comment.