Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Night Is Young, 12073, Red High Heel Torn Paper Collage Painting by Contemporary Texas Artist Nancy Standlee

The Night Is Young, 12073
Red High Heel Torn Paper Collage Painting
12x12x1.5" on gallery wrapped canvas

I used this high heel for my "talk/demo" for the Lake Granbury Art Association Monday evening and finished it up yesterday in the studio. If you are interested in attending a 2 or 3 day workshop using the torn paper method please contact me by email address below this post. I will post a cupcake later in the week using the torn painted paper technique and I could combine both methods. 
Also if you want an experimental acrylic workshop, my friend, Carol Nelson will be at the LGAA at the end of May and there are a few more openings. Click on the LGAA link above and go to workshops. 

Background:
The white printed background wraps around the painting and covers the sides and the title is taken from text in the collage. Other words in the background are best, private, queen, .com, pretty things, Mad Men, love that, fabulous, of course I do, the girly show, I wake to run, chic. There are more of these heel collages in my future using different colors for the high heel and they are great decor for a vanity area. 

Painted Paper Collage Methods:
When I was speaking about the painted paper collage, I mentioned how I kept my acrylic paints moist and ready to paint foundation color on small supports using a divided plastic box for beads I found at Michaels. I attached a sticky back felt to the top of the slots and then spray with water and enclose all with a wet sponge in a plastic bag and keep in my refrigerator. These paints stay workable and ready to use for months, saving paint and the removing lids of paints.  I don't paint on the foundation for the torn paper above but I'll post one of the painted paper collages later where I use this painting method of painting a loose color foundation color before I begin the collage so I hope I don't confuse you. One of the members in the audience Monday night expressed an interest in seeing my palette. When I paint a large acrylic painting I put the paints out on a piece of heavy plastic or large palette. The above is used for small works and some people like to use the weekly plastic pill holders. I do have my whites, blacks, buffs and grays in one of those and I put the felt on the lids also and keep those in refrigerator also along with the colors.

32 well paint palette box

Events:

FWCAC collage exhibit April 6 to June 29, 2012
http://www.fwcac.com/?exhibitions_detail/2287

Nancy is the featured TAC (Texas Artists Coalition) artists at the FWCAC Cafe  April 6 - June 29, 2012 at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center (FWCAC), a 77.000 square foot facitlity at 1300 Gendy St in the museum district. Go to the website and sign up for their newsletter and bookmark the events page to see what event you’d like to attend HERE. http://www.fwcac.com/calendar/month.php?date=201206
Directions: and parking: I parked in the garage south of the FWCAC and it is $5.00 but the art center will validate your ticket for $3.00. http://www.fwcac.com/?about/directions

TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, TORN PAPER COLLAGE PAINTING, COLLAGE ART, PAINTED PAPER COLLAGE PAINTINGS, MIXED MEDIA PAINTING, ABSTRACT PAINTING, STAINED PAPER PAINTING, CONTEMPORARY FINE ART, ACRYLIC PAINTING. ARTISTS OF TEXAS BLOG, NANCY STANDLEE, CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT ACRYLIC PAINTING, FINE ART, DAILY PAINTWORKS, CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS INTERNATIONAL, PINTEREST. COLLAGE ARTIST, TORN PAPER PORTRAIT COLLAGE


BLOG                  Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE            Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE            Canvas by Canvas
Contact:             NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Purchase paintings through my Gallery at Daily Paintworks.
Follow me on Pinterest

9 comments:

Laura said...

Thank you Nancy for the added info on the paint storage. I have printed this off. I so appreciate your wisdom & willingness to share. It was my pleasure to meet you Monday night!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thank you Laura for taking the time out of your busy day to attend and ask me any question, any time..glad we met in person.

Darla McDowell said...

I love this painting, Nancy. Your collage technique is amazing. Also, thanks for sharing your acrylic palette. Very innovative!

Watermarycolors said...

Amazing collage! congrat!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Daria, glad to share and hope you enjoy this method of a palette, and Man Jose Molina..thanks glad you like the collage.

Dee Doyle said...

Enjoyed reading your how to with acrylics box. I use one of those bead carries that has a "scooped" bottom, so a brush doesn't get caught in the corners, and love it. I too, keep my paints for weeks at a time in said box ... Up until now, I have used damp shop towels to keep moist, but am going to investigate sticky back felt tabs. Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks for the comment Dee.. will look at the scoop bottom ones. I bought a deviled egg plastic carrier and have been wondering about it.. however, it is not divided like the squares.

paintlady said...

I can't wait to try with my Acrylics [it IS tiring to constantly take lids on & off, etc]..curious if it may work for Oils too (?)

Nancy Standlee said...

Paintlady... I hope you like it with acrylics. I think I'd rather use a paper palette with the oils and put them inside a Masterson type plastic with a big lid. I agree constantly taking lids off is a big pain. But for large acrylic paintings I still take lids off and use a large piece of plastic for the palette so as to have more mixing room.