Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Monday, April 27, 2009

Glory ~ Art Couture Gallery ~ Art Journal Pages ~ CO.



"Glory"
12"x12" abstract on gallery wrapped canvas on a gold gesso base
After the Robert Burridge workshop I wanted to try to paint an abstract with his method and I had about 2 days before I left for a Colorado trip. During the workshop I did two pieces on gessoed paper but to reinforce the techniques I wanted to try it at home. The small work above is my effort and it is in the Art Couture Gallery in Dallas.



This is Bob in the workshop holding his abstract demo that I purchased and it is now in my studio. Thanks Bob and Kate for a great week and I love my painting. They will post some photos from the workshop on their web page soon.

Art Journal page 85
This covers the week from April 6-10 and has an acrylic abstract on the page. Watercolor just didn't have the qualities to do the negative painting used by this technique. Included is two of my favorite "Bobisms" "Love what you do and pass it on" and "It's all been done before, but not by you."


Art Journal page 86
Trying to unpack and pack and taking care of business but wanting to paint gives you a left-right brain duel, going to the Tony Saladino critique and on to the Art Couture Gallery, and then the LLS Gala (see a previous post), then lots of weather and driving through rain, sunshine and snow and making it to Raton NM on the way to Breckenridge, CO. Some quick sketches of roadside signs and one in particular, FREE 72 oz. steak if eaten in one hour near Amarillo at the Big Texan.

Art Journal page 87
Trying another map as Danny Gregory suggests and I'm reading The Creative License, and going to about 9700 elevation from about 650 in Arlington, whew! It's usually not a pretty site for a few days while I'm trying to breathe and walk at the same time. Drew the coffee cup I purchased at the Brown Burro Cafe in Fairplay where there were foot long icicles hanging from the roof. Going from a low at night of about 50's to the 20's, brrrrr.



Art Journal page 88
Ski season officially closed this day and enters into mud season, tried the art walk in Breckenridge and most galleries were closed. I painted my face green because it was hard to walk all bundled up and I hadn't adjusted to the altitude yet. Leadville's Western Hardware Antique Mall is always a must see. Seems like a lot of people like to decorate with roosters and chickens as in Zichittella's Italian in Leadville. Later I'll make a slide show of some of the photos along the trip. At first I thought I had the wrong camera setting as several were in black and white and then realized it was cloudy, snowy and there wasn't any color.

No comments: