Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Skip Lawrence Workshop ~ Day 5, Friday ~ Watercolor and Acrylic by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee


Friday's Acrylic on 200 lb. watercolor paper 11" x 15"
I guess this is my least favorite painting I did all week in the Skip Lawrence workshop and I will work on it some more. I couldn't wait to get back to my acrylics and then they gave me trouble. One thing I was looking at a photo I'd taken of two women walking and I think I tried to make them too realistic and the other work I'd done during the week was more from memory. Skip's next workshops can be found on his website. Skip and Christopher Schink are editors and chief contributors of The Palette Magazine and it's filled with ideas and lessons on painting. Back issues are available.

Our class.. and thanks to Ron Stephens for sending me one of his photographs.
This is taken from the back of the room, zoomed in through the demo mirror above and remember that in the slide show of some of Skip's paintings so there is some distortion in color and shape. On Friday Skip agreed to an acrylic demo and I brought some fluid acrylics, paper plates and brushes and gessoed paper for him to use. He asked for a red, yellow and blue, black and white gesso. He chose to paint on his on 300 lb paper that was not gessoed. Thanks to Skip for doing this for us. I thought the readers would find it interesting to see how he places the colors in one disposable plate and works from there. I certainly did and then tried it with the above painting. In the critique he said that I'm a colorist and "forget my values".
In the following slide show the work is from Skip's demo and some paintings he brought with him and remember some of the photos were taken through the overhead mirror and from my tv screen. I mentioned I have his color dvd and I tried taking a photo from the tv of the finished painting and it works ..somewhat. This was not a figure workshop and we didn't have models to pose. Some in the class painted animals, dogs, cats, and horses but I like to paint figures and so it's again trying to decide watercolor or acrylic? (Mouse over for captions)



Please visit my web site and comment on my blog:

BLOG.............Nancy Standlee Art Blog

WEB SITE ........Nancy Standlee

WEB SITE ........Canvas By Canvas


ARLINGTON TEXAS ~ ARTIST NANCY STANDLEE ~ DAILY PAINTER ~
CONTEMPORARY ~ WATERCOLOR ~ ACRYLIC ~ COLLAGE ~ GOUACHE
ABSTRACT ~ EXPRESSIONIST ~ ART FOR SALE ~ FIGURATIVE ~ MIXED MEDIA ~ ALTERED BOOKS

Contact NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

4 comments:

JudyMackeyart said...

Love the painting and enjoyed reading your post! Happy painting, Nancy!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Judy.. loving your palette knife paintings also.

Ruth Armitage said...

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for sharing photos of your workshop... it's almost like being there :) Love your painting!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks for your comments, Ruth.