Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Plein-Air Painting in Santa Fe with Niki Gulley by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Texas

 Santa Fe Friday
Acrylic on gessoboard 9 x 12

Niki Gulley and her husband, Scott Williams conducted a 5 day plein air and photography workshop in Santa Fe August 8 - 12 and I painted the above the last day, Friday, of the workshop of the Loretto Inn but you can see I took numerous liberties. Across the street, Old Santa Fe Trail, is Mangiamo Pizza that has wonderful yellow umbrellas. Most days I'd get one not so good painting and then one that was more recognizable. Some of the acrylic paintings will have to be given a little face lift back in the studio.
It was a wonderful week after the first day Monday jitters about painting plein air. I chose acrylics which was a constant battle with the drying time. I had some water-soluble oils but didn't want to practice with them on my first official plein air experience and decided tackling one medium was enough this trip.
Niki is a very versatile artist and she gave demos in each person's medium, pastel, watercolor, water soluble oils, and acrylic. We'd meet at 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. depending on the distance we'd need to drive and Scott and Niki would set up a canopy if there was no shade in sight. This workshop was a great learning experience and gave me a new appreciation for landscape painters, although we had many 12 hour days. We went to our morning location, maybe a box lunch, or a restaurant then move to our afternoon site, back to the motel, wash our brushes and brush off the dust, and then meet for dinner.  
On Friday, we had most of the afternoon free and I chose to explore some of the galleries on Canyon Road and then Scott let us look for 15 minutes in the big art supply store there, Artisan's, then back to the motel for a critique. I hope there will be another workshop in my future with Niki and Scott. They are planning on Paris in May and they are looking at a U.S. site for next year. Check their website for updated locations.
I put together a small slide show below to show some of the scenes around Santa Fe.




TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, TORN PAPER COLLAGE PAINTING, COLLAGE ART, PAINTED PAPER COLLAGE PAINTINGS, MIXED MEDIA PAINTING, ABSTRACT PAINTING, STAINED PAPER PAINTING, CONTEMPORARY FINE ART, ACRYLIC PAINTING. ARTISTS OF TEXAS BLOG, NANCY STANDLEE CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT ACRYLIC PAINTING, FINE ART, PLEIN AIR, NIKI GULLEY WORKSHOP. SANTA FE
BLOG                  Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE            Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE            Canvas by Canvas
Contact:             NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the painting, especially the umbrella!

Cindy Yandell Parker said...

Looks like a grand time was had by all. You did some really nice work Nancy. Maybe next time some of CBC will go with you on this adventure!

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks CBC ..Barb for the comment and yes I'd love to have a peep to go with me.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks WBA. The umbrellas caught my eye the minute I saw the scene.