Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Monday, January 30, 2012

Cantaloupe Still Life Oil Painting ~ Peggi Kroll Roberts Workshop ~ by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee

Cantaloupe 12022
Oil on canvas panel 9x12

Never say never, right? I've been saying I won't paint in oils since I have acrylics and watercolor and there isn't much more room for art supplies, BUT.. I know not to make a statement like that. I've just returned from a 3 day oil painting workshop at the Knowlton Gallery in Lodi, CA with Peggi Kroll Roberts,. The first day was devoted to still life and the other two days were of the costumed model and this was my first oil workshop. Check out some of Peggi's work on the Knowlton site. Peggi lists future workshops and supply lists on her website and she has a wonderful set of instructional DVD's and a book with some of her paintings. 
Lodi was an easy place to get to and the gallery was a beautiful place to paint with an elevator to the 2nd floor. I flew into Sacramento without stops from DFW and rented a car and drove the short distance to Lodi. Classes began at 9 and went to 4 with an hour for lunch. The gallery is downtown and restaurants are within walking distance and everyone would break for lunch and go out. In Texas I've discovered in a lot of instances we eat at our table and rarely take that full hour for lunch but it was a needed enjoyable break for the 12 class members.
Peggi started us out with a lot of warm ups concentrating on values and massing in our shadows and told us that when we woke up each morning she wanted us repeating, "Mass in my shadows first." Later in the week I'll post one of the costumed model pieces and I'm not giving up on acrylic but just had a goal for 2012 that I'd like to learn more about this medium. It was a great workshop and today I've signed up for another one of Peggi's. The cantaloupe isn't signed as I'm at a loss when or how to affix my signature but I'm sure I can't use my Sharpie Paint pen. 


Nancy and Peggi with our complementary colored tops
The big spacious room beside the gallery where our workshop was held.

The covered walkway into the building from the parking area in back.

TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, OIL PAINTING, SMALL OIL STILL LIFE,  ARTISTS OF TEXAS BLOG, NANCY STANDLEE , FINE ART,  DAILY PAINTWORKS, CONTEMPORARY FINE ARTS INTERNATIONAL, PINTEREST, PEGGI KROLL ROBERTS,

BLOG                  Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE            Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE            Canvas by Canvas
Contact:             NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

Purchase paintings through my Gallery at Daily Paintworks.
Follow me on Pinterest

9 comments:

Kaethe Bealer said...

I'm jealous, you got to go to Peggi's workshop! I just love her and her willingness to share her knowledge, wisdom and struggles. Judging from your cantaloupe painting, you did well yourself!

Vickie said...

Yummy!...fantastic work in oils. The colors are beautiful. Would like to know what you decide on the signature. I have always read that you should sign with the medium used...and make the signature part of the painting. I struggle with this a bit also. What do you normally do? And do you always sign the same way? Again a really beautiful painting.

Nancy Standlee said...

Hi Vickie, for the acrylics and collages Burridge has taught us to use a Sharpie "Paint" pen (oil based) Peggi said in an email yesterday to go ahead and sign it now in oil..this would be a good time to have a short name!!

Nancy Standlee said...

Hi Kaethe, wish you'd been there it was a learning good time as this was my first oil workshop and guess what I'm signed up with another one with Peggi the day I got home.

Carol Nelson said...

Did you have that Creedence Clearwater song "Stuck in Lodi Again" going through your head?
THere are some things that have to be painted in oil I think. That blendablilty (is that a word?) and extra working time are great for portraits, landscapes and still lifes.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Carol, for the words of encouragement about the oils..you can begin to wonder are you making a big mistake trying to tackle another medium.. I think when C Clearwater came around I was busy having babies!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Phyllis said...

Hi Nancy...enjoyed reading Bout what you're up to. Took Burridge class same time you did in Arroyo Grande. I am acrylic/oil artist...and also just finished Peggy Kroll Roberts class!

Let's stay connected!

Nancy Standlee said...

Hi Phyllis nice to hear from you. Are you on Facebook?