Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Friday, February 25, 2011

Rooster and Bird Torn Paper Collage Paintings by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee

"Ready to Crow"
8 x 8" Mixed Media Collage on canvas board
SOLD during the 9 x 12 FWCAC Show

On the side of my blog, I have a link to Creative Catalyst, one of the premier companies to find the best of art instruction DVD's. If I'm scheduled for an instructor's workshop I find it very helpful to order the DVD either before or after the workshop to reinforce the learning. During Anne Bagby's painted paper workshop I learned to make some personal stamps and painted some original hand painted papers that you see in the above collage. Also I used some papers from the Carrie Burns Brown workshop and DVD. Lynn Powers has added a link to the Creative Catalyst blog and added a list of other collage artists that are doing some exciting work.
http://ccpvideos.com/community/blog/anne-bagby-inspired-artist-nancy-standlee-part-1
http://ccpvideos.com/community/blog/anne-bagby-inspired-artist-nancy-standlee-part-2
I've heard from several artists that want to try collage and my advice to all of them is "Do it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results." For these two works I've enjoyed using a Texas map for the background. "Keep working on it until you like it" as Derek Gores said or "until you can't pick it up" Gerald Brommer, the father of collage stated in the two weeks of workshops I took with him. When I teach a collage workshop I think I'll start my students out by working on a cupcake - what a happy subject. Each collage is as distinctive as each artists' handwriting when you work from original painted papers, personal images and personal creative energy.
An artist that has an abundance of creative energy is Robert Burridge and I'm preparing to take my 8th workshop with him. He has a huge following and even I wear my "Bobette" button proudly. He is one of the most sharing and secure artists I've ever worked with. A quote that all of his students are taught is "It's all been done before but not by you." He has even named his newsletter "The Artsy Fartsy News with a free subscription. Read the April 2007 issue and this topic "It's No Secret" will give you an insight on his positive, supportive attitude. Try some collage, a farm animal, a rooster, a bird, a dog, a cupcake, a shoe, a portrait. These subjects aren't copyrighted. Your work will have your signature style because of your materials and personality.
A dog... if you don't want to collage an animal, buy one of these fabulous dog prints from Karen Dupre. I first saw her prints in Aaron Brothers. I haven't collaged a dog yet. Maybe there is one in my future.

And another collage artist to add to your list is Eileen Downes. Click HERE.

"FEED THE BIRDS" ~ BIRD COLLAGE
8 x 8 in. on canvas board
Hand painted papers, found papers, vintage stamps, torn paper collage, maps

I've sent in a release form for the above bird collage to be used in a future textbook for elementary and middle school art education students to be used at the college level. The book will be published by a major publisher in 2013.

BLOG.............Nancy Standlee Art Blog

WEB SITE ........Nancy Standlee

WEB SITE ........Canvas By Canvas



ARLINGTON TEXAS ~ NANCY STANDLEE FINE ART ~ TEXAS DAILY PAINTER ~ CONTEMPORARY FINE ART ~ ACRYLIC ~ COLLAGE ART ~ BIRD COLLAGE ~ MIXED MEDIA COLLAGE ARTIST ~ MIXED MEDIA ABSTRACT ~ ART FOR SALE ~ CONTEMPORARY MIXED MEDIA COLLAGE PAINTINGS ~ ROOSTER COLLAGE

Contact NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

7 comments:

Pcasso said...

Congratulations on the sale of your Rooster. He's wonderful! You never cease to amaze me with your talent!

WW said...

Nancy...congrats on the sale of your lovely rooster.
I just took a look at "The Artsy Fartsy News"...loved the piece "There are no secrets". How true!
Enjoy your workshops!!

Paintings by Patricia said...

I am so impressed with your collages.....they get better and better. Love that rooster.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks so much Pat, Wanda and Patricia. I appreciate your comments.

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Amazing art work! Love torn paper art! Happy Art Day Nancy!

; )
Elizabeth Aviles

Gery said...

Saw you made the rooster in 2011, but I saw it this eventing on Pinterest for the first time and just wantend to tell you, that you did a great job!
I simply admire and like this kind of work, it' great.
Groetjes Gery

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Gery