Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Monday, October 6, 2008

Janet Rogers Workshop ~ Flowers Watercolor ~ Art Journal Pages


This 21" x 13" watercolor floral was done in the Janet Rogers workshop and I tried out some of her colors and techniques. See the previous post for more information about the workshop. She has 2 excellent dvd's available from Cheap Joe's and you can see a YouTube preview for the portrait here, and for the floral here. This floral dvd is "so Janet" when you hear her say "That's boring. No, I don't like that" and it gives us new courage to quickly change our minds. Janet and her husband Steve are planning a painting trip to Italy and everyone in the class was interested in hearing about this fabulous trip. In my Art Journal this week (really September 22-24) you will see the "ABC project" designed by Karen Foster and Cindy Campbell, and still so new we don't have a sneak peek yet on the Canvas by Canvas web site. But note that we have about 14 new paintings at the Petroleum Club in Fort Worth. Click on the Paintings tab to read about each one. I've ordered books on Vista and I've enrolled in some of HP's free classes online. These are great classes, usually about 4 lessons long and if you don't have time to complete all of them, save the lessons on your hard drive, and review them later. There is a teacher and message board for students to meet and ask questions.
There is always some food involved in my journal and after eating again at
Fish City Grill Arlington and trying a side dish of Cajun Red Beans and Rice I found a package of the small red beans at Albertsons, got out the crock pot and found my directions and experimented. The chef at Fish City had given me a few of the dried beans to carry in my pocket while I searched the grocery stores. My beans were not as tasty but I will cook on top of the stove next time and try some of their suggestions. I substituted some smoked Polish Kielbasa sausage for the Andouille sausage and the purists may cringe. I usually just stick with pinto beans (our Texas red beans) but these small red beans looked like a smaller cousin. Even Wikipedia has an entry for this Louisiana dish and it makes so much it is a great dish to share.

3 comments:

Myrna Wacknov said...

Hi Nancy,
I have been following your progress. Absolutely love the journal pages. It suits your vivid imaginative style and expressive life! Now you have a colorful record of your adventures.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks Myrna. It takes a lot of time for the journal pages but I'm enjoying the extra drawing experience. I like what you're doing with your "Frenchman" series.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.