Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Sunday, March 21, 2010

"Assignment Yellow" ~ Carol Nelson Workshop ~ Denver by Texas Daily Painter Nancy Standlee


"Assignment Yellow"
6 3/4" x 5 1/4" Acrylic Mixed Media on MDF board

For the past several posts I've been discussing Carol Nelson's Metals and Mixed Media Workshop in Arvada, CO March 12 and 13. This last one details our "assignment". It seems we were a little all over the board on Friday so Carol made some assignments to rein us in. She divided the group up into color families, red, yellow, blue and neutral. I found a yellow sticky on my table and followed her example on design by drawing some circles and lines and filling in the spaces with collage choices of rice paper, metals, metal foil, metal leaf, burlap, metallic paper, nails, brads, leather, moss, or fibers. If we became stumped for color, Carol had Nita Leland's "Exploring Color" for reference. Other class pieces can be viewed in the slide show below.

Nancy

I have a cousin living in Denver and I made a quick visit on Thursday evening on arrival for the workshop. My cousin-in-law, Ted Fons, is a potter and gave me this lovely pot to bring home and I lovingly carried it in my purse on the flight home. Click on photos on his home page to see more of his work. Wishes for a great retirement party, M Beth. (For some reason ??? when I tested the link I had to click at the end of the URL and hit enter just an fyi in case you are not taken to his site immediately or you can Google Ted Fons potter to see more of his work.)
This workshop was the first for Carol to teach a two day one but she has taught 3 one day workshops. I think you definitely need 2 days and a 3 day would really be great. She is a confident and professional artist working from realism and abstraction. She finds patterns, rhythms and textures in nature and in the world around her and told us to do the same. I had cataract surgery on my left eye on Monday after the workshop and on the post op visit on Tuesday in the brand new building I was struck by this design on the entry wall and thought of Carol with her lines and circles assignment.

Mouse over photos for captions:


Please visit my web site and comment on my blog:

BLOG.............Nancy Standlee Art Blog

WEB SITE ........Nancy Standlee

WEB SITE ........Canvas By Canvas


ARLINGTON TEXAS ~ ARTIST NANCY STANDLEE ~ DAILY PAINTER ~
CONTEMPORARY ~ WATERCOLOR ~ ACRYLIC ~ COLLAGE ~ GOUACHE
ABSTRACT ~ EXPRESSIONIST ~ ART FOR SALE ~ FIGURATIVE ~ MIXED MEDIA

Contact NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

No comments: