Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Monday, July 16, 2007

(NFS) Calypso Market Series #6 of 10 -~ PageRank ~ Wi-Fi

Donated to the Arlington Museum Black and White Gala
7.5" x 5.5" image
Acrylic on 140 lb. watercolor paper
The Calypso series #6 of 10

Good news for my laptop traveling friends and good news this morning for those living along the Thames. Free access is open to a Wi-Fi hot spot for about a 13 mile stretch in London. Yoo-Hooo!
The painting is of two friends enjoying a special moment while shopping. Shopping for what? That’s for you to decide. Maybe it’s for some of those really Sassy high heels they’ve heard about at the Canvas by Canvas site or leaf-green limes, maybe mangoes or lemons. Or they might be conversing about PageRank and it’s importance to a beginning blogger. See more about PageRank with our friend Mr. Wiki at Wikipedia.
Google assigns a numeric weighting from 0-10 for each webpage on the Internet; this PageRank denotes your site’s importance in the eyes of Google. The Google Toolbar has a symbol to show PageRank. The Google Toolbar's PageRank feature displays a visited page's PageRank as a whole number between 0 and 10. The most popular websites have a PageRank of 10. The least have a PageRank of 0. I have a Google Toolbar and I’ve never know the meaning of that little horizontal bar – looks a little like a horizontal thermometer. So now as I find out more about it, I’m curious about everyone's PageRank since I don’t even have the slightest smidge of leaf green color in my little themometer. I have zero page rank. Ohhhhh! I’d like to have at least 1 little piece of leaf green to show.
There are several theories on how to get PageRank. Go to one of my favorite places to look for answers at Peter Chen for Blogger Tips and Tricks and type in PageRank in his search bar. His site has a PageRank of 5 – way to go PC.
This post cautions about who you link to: http://blogger-tricks.blogspot.com/2006/11/precaution-to-take-before-linking-to.html

Peter suggests you do one important thing to increase your PageRank if this is a concern of yours. Register with DMOZ and Google . If you have a blog and want to get a good page ranking read this post: http://blogger-tricks.blogspot.com/search/label/DMOZ
I registered my blog at both places. Read carefully the instructions given before registering.
If you don’t have a Google toolbar and don’t want one, (can’t imagine why you wouldn’t) here is a site, Top 25 Web, (PageRank 6) to search for a web or blog's url to see their PageRank.
For example: I looked for Amazon (PR 9) and Dick Blick (PR 7) – 2 of my most used searches and sites and where most of my expendable income ends up for books and art supplies and listed on my side bar for your convenience of shopping.
Yes, you know I had to search out Google’s PageRank and are you surprised? Yep, it’s a 10, after all, it’s their deal. It’s amazing how popular they have become and most people know exactly what you mean when you say, "Oh, just Google her or him or it…"
My bet is when our Calypso Market shoppers pass a Wi-Fi hot spot; they will stop and check their PageRank.
If you want to see if there is a Wi-Fi hot spot in your area check out this link at Free HotSpot, and put in your zip code, maybe share a laptop/java moment with a friend before plantain shopping.

3 comments:

Connie Michael said...

Nancy, if I left all my thoughts my comment would be as long as your fascinating blog. First of all, I've loves ALL of the calypso series. Excellent work. Next, I'm finding your blogging tips not only informative but helpful and I'm printing them out for my instructions manual. I wonder how much it will weigh in a month!
Don't stop!

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for leaving another comment in my post Subject changed to tips on how to get listed in DMOZ and the links to my site in this post. I have responded to your comment and added a tip which I hope you find useful.

Looks like you are interested in traffic and PageRank. Don't know if you have already read this, but if you have more than one blog and you often link to posts in your comments when responding to readers' comments, then you might be interested in Increase link popularity and PageRank of your blogs. Perhaps I should add "and encourage your visitors to comment in your posts". Some bloggers who use this even put notice to inform visitors that they have removed the NOFOLLOW attribute for the comment section to encourage them to comment (not spammers).

Peter (Blog*Star)
Testing Blogger Beta (now New Blogger)

BG Hackney said...

Really like this one NS, I commented on it on the Marketplace Blog and have subscribed to it, you were first when I looked. I'll just subscribe to everything and if I get stung I will call BT to fix it all---bg