Cheerful and Colorful Paintings

Cheerful and Colorful Paintings in Oil, Acrylic, Mixed Media and Collage
nancystandlee@sbcglobal.net

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Contemporary Acrylic Abstract Painting ~ Cheryl McClure Workshop ~ Daily Painter Nancy Standlee


"Road Work Ahead"
(a contemporary abstract painting)
24"x 24"x1.5" acrylic on canvas (texture, charcoal, pencil)

A contemporary abstract workshop painting with friends is a good summer start and it will be one of the highlights of 2011. About 20 of us gathered at the Artists' Showplace for Cheryl McClure's workshop: Abstract: the Process, June 21-24 from 9:30-4:00 (or until someone said "We're locking the doors--goodnight!"

I didn't bring a canvas as large as Cheryl's 30 x 40 on the supply list but large for me was the above 24"x24" and even some smaller ones lurking under my table, plus a few turkeys to rework. It doesn't matter the workshop but by the time I get it all gathered up in the living room to be loaded in the car, the travel, unloading and setup I always question myself about why am I doing this and never again do I want to go to this trouble and expense. After I return from the workshop, I'm always glad I made the effort and have some new techniques to add to my arsenal, some new friends made, old ones visited and more good memories.
In this workshop we added lots of texture and then toned the canvas before making our charcoal and paint marks prior to painting in our color choice. One way to make those marks was with an Egbert (not a nerd which came to mind) brush to make long flowing brush marks. Yes, I've already ordered a few Egberts.

The title:
It's always a little more difficult for me to title an abstract; however, while driving home in heavy Dallas traffic on Friday afternoon I saw "road work ahead" and thought I'm giving some of my pieces from this workshop some "road sign" titles. I can't tell you if this one is finished or not. It has not been varnished and I see an area I'd like to add a little gold leaf but then I tend to want a little bling on most of my work.


Cheryl's Palette.. Ok..she uses more than one and this is how she sets up one of them before the painting process begins. Her neutrals are in the center.

TEXAS DAILY PAINTER, TORN PAPER COLLAGE PAINTING, COLLAGE ART, PAINTED PAPER COLLAGE PAINTINGS, MIXED MEDIA PAINTING, ABSTRACT PAINTING, STAINED PAPER PAINTING, CONTEMPORARY FINE ART, ABSTRACT ACRYLIC PAINTING, CONTEMPORARY ABSTRACT PAINTING

BLOG Nancy Standlee Art Blog
WEBSITE Nancy Standlee
WEBSITE Canvas by Canvas

Contact: NancyStandlee@sbcglobal.net

3 comments:

Donna said...

I LOVE this one Nancy! Really nice work!

CMC said...

Thanks for your report on the workshop,Nancy.........and the pictures.
This was a great group of participants.....
Great title for your work, too, by the way.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks for the great workshop, Cheryl. I've been reading your interesting blog this afternoon.